Friday 18 July 2014

Sink the Pink: Around the World in 80 Gays.

"I guess this is what would happen if Michael Alig's club kids had ever made it to the UK and bummed The Whirl-Y-Gig into next week..."




Since I started this simple blog, many years ago, I appear to have upset some of my homo friends in London with my ludicrous musings. It's never been my intention; however, these things have a tendency to happen when you turn a blow job into a political statement.

This site was getting over a 1000 hits a week in its heyday, which was great, but with that came a healthy dose of criticism and super-bitchy spats. I have been called, "homophobic," by gay men who harassed me in the street because they didn't get a gag. This indicates to you just how seriously some people can take their identity politics; after all, many writers make a living out of being a professional minority.

These days, this blog is lucky to get 1000 hits a month and to tell you the truth, I'm much happier avoiding all the drama, hence I have never bothered to update it. In the ranty, new techno-world of Twitter, my blog seems rather boring and old fashioned.

It's the same with the club scene. I have never really got why some people take the club scene so seriously, particularly in London - I always thought it was about having fun. But it's true, one minute you're gurning in a field wearing flowers, the next thing you know, you're queuing with a random slick prick who tells you Trade got way too commercial. So that was the 90's for me in a nutshell!

The Bethnal Green Working Men's Club has always been a favourite venue of mine since I first went there to book burlesque acts. The place never feels overly pretentious even though you can catch some really great alternative performance artists. This is the perfect venue for Sink The Pink, there's an edgy, arty ethos infusing it with a healthy dose of 90's retro hedonism. It really works. I guess this is what would happen if Michael Alig's club kids had ever made it to the UK and bummed The Whirl-Y-Gig into next week...

Sink The Pink manages to unite many of the east London gay tribes, in fun, fancy-dress and genuine silliness. It's gender politics with a small, "g," that never comes across as too try hard.

The great thing is that they are having a theme night which carries the same name as this knackered old slag of a blog - and I'm guessing it will be fantastic. Who knows, it might actually inspire me to reboot my own, "Around The World in 80 Gays;" to revamp the tramp and drag it from the naughties to the now.

Go with an open mind and an open heart and dance like the diva your pushy old stage mother always wanted you to be.

Sink The Pink - Around the World in 80 Gays:
Saturday August 2nd,
The Bethnal Green Working Men's Club,
London,
E2 6NB
9pm - 3am

Bethnal Green Working Men's Club. Pollards row, London E2 6NB


No comments:

Post a Comment