Saturday 5 May 2012

is bored of reading articles about gay marriage


Here is a picture of my condo in Bangkok.


I put this up to highlight the fact that I am, in fact, a part-time writer who lives in an ivory tower. So when I say, "Many gay writers live in Ivory towers," they probably don't. I do. They live in metaphorical ivory towers, which are much more dis-associative. Their ivory towers perpetuate an endless narrative of suffering and oppression; mine has a really nice swimming pool and a gym. 

Many gay writers live in Ivory towers. 

I have always kept abreast of London gay discourse; however,  recently I stopped following many articles. Paul Burston at Time out, The pink paper and Attitude, all gone. It was just too exhausting. Maybe because I'm busy doing other things? Like... Living?

Now that I've been lucky enough to see a little bit more of the world; I just can't be bothered with the endless pity party. London is a tough town. We all know this. But really, are middle class gay men, who write for the mainstream media, discriminated against more than anyone else? Really?

All of these articles want me to care about whether a civil union is called a marriage or not. I just don't. 

To me, a civil partnership is as valid as any other committed union. Calling it a two tier system invalidates all civil unions.  My friends in civil partnerships are just as married as anyone else thanks.

There are many things wrong with the grass roots of London. A fact that is apparently not sexy enough to editors, hungry for the misery memoir. 
My post man in Dalston had to travel from zone 5 everyday to post my letters. He couldn't afford to live in the ex-council estate in which he worked. He was a nice enough chap. A christian, not a homophobe, just a bit thick. 

The cost of living is too high. That is a good example of social exclusion.

I don't think many mainstream Gay writers are conscious of this. I don't think they are particularly Machiavellian. They live in their metaphorical ivory towers, and like many urban middle class dwellers, they cannot see that they have constructed a life that is detached from their immediate environment. Instead, they accuse everyone else of living in "ivory towers," why not? I know I do.

Here's a thought - Not everyone cares who you have sex with. Not everyone cares who you marry.

Perhaps most people care about money? Education for their kids? Housing? Or simply gaining a respectable voice in public discourse? 

White gay writers see "homophobes" and "Bigots," everywhere in London. But do they realise that this constant metaphorical battle against perceived injustice can come across as simply furthering self interest? More than that, does it not detract from actual homophobic discrimination? 

Think about it; western capitalism and clever gays go together very well. Out gay men, as a demographic, are getting along just fine, compared to many other communities living in London ("in" gay men? I suppose we will never know). So, why go on and on and on about kissing in straight pubs; being called pansies by idiots, or whether your marriage is called a marriage etc. Sometimes I think it all sounds a bit facile.

Take Paul Burston for example:

He is university educated, has a successful career, and is in a partnership with a man who loves him. He has a home, money and friends - that's good. I'm happy for him. So why can't he just enjoy that part of his life and write about something else?

What exactly has he missed out on in life?

He's certainly not oppressed in any real way, yet somehow he wants you to believe that he is. There's always something or someone he needs to fight against. London can be a very hard place to live, for everyone, not just gay men. When I think about the reasons why I left London, none of them are particularly linked to who I fucked. 

Was it the general violence? Extortionate cost of living? Was it the PFI, PPP theft of public services (selling you back the services you have already paid for)? Perhaps it was the perpetual frustrations and cultural tensions? Or maybe a ludicrous amount of legislation; meaning that ordinary citizens are all guilty of committing some sort of offense. Are any of these reasons to leave my beloved home town? 

NO... It's the fact that PAUL BURSTON IS DISCRIMINATED AGAINST! HE ISN'T ALLOWED TO CALL HIS UNION A MARRIAGE! Fucking homophobic London!   

Still, what do I know? I live in a country which is incredibly xenophobic and doesn't condone gay marriage. HELP! I'm an oppressed minority! But, on the flip-side, I live in an ivory tower in a city where I feel safe walking home at night; even though I live in one of the roughest, poorest parts of town. On top of that, I can afford to eat fresh coconut everyday and I really enjoy my job, so, you know... Them's the breaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment